Emerging Museum Professional Fellowship
Aiming to encourage greater diversity in the museum field, the Emerging Museum Professional Fellowship—initially the Summer Fellowship—is a summer work opportunity for students enrolled in city, community or state colleges in Chicago from backgrounds that have traditionally been underrepresented in the museum field. The Fellow is introduced to all facets of museum work, including curation, collections, education, marketing, development and executive leadership. They work closely with senior managers and contribute to meaningful projects that advance the museum.
The eight-week fellowship begins the week of June 13 and concludes August 5, 2022. The position is a 20-hour-a-week commitment, and the Fellow will earn a $3,000 stipend. The fellowship will be hybrid with opportunities to work remotely and in the museum. Fully remote candidates will be considered.
- Projects vary on the Fellow’s interests, such as curatorial research, audience research, program ideation and coordination, grant writing, etc.
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of public programs and special events.
- Participate in meetings and professional development workshops with staff, board members, volunteers, interns and collaborators on a regular basis.
- Contribute as a member of a team that encourages diverse voices and perspectives.
- Eligible applicants are BIPOC students pursuing a career in the arts
- Eligible applicants are undergraduate or graduate students or students who recently completed their degree at a city, community or state college in Chicago
- Proficiency in working with the public through customer service, public speaking or teaching
- Proficiency in online learning tools and eagerness to learn new platforms (G Suite, Slack, YouTube and Zoom)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The application period for the summer 2022 program cycle is now open! Apply to be a Fellow by Friday, May 20, 2022.
Please contact Will Deschler at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions related to the fellowship.